POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Colony ship : Re: Colony ship Server Time
6 Oct 2024 01:55:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colony ship
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 27 Jan 2016 23:01:58
Message: <56a992b6$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/27/2016 05:14 PM, Stephen wrote:
> On 1/27/2016 9:40 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> On 1/27/2016 3:13 PM, Stephen wrote:
>>> Do you know about inkscape? Blender can take a 2D drawing done in
>>> inkscape and extend it in the third dimension. I mean that it can take a
>>> plan drawing and grow it upwards.
>>> https://inkscape.org/en/
>>>

>> I wish POV-Ray had this feature.
>>

> How about a height field, Mike?
> That is similar and has more control of the height of the object.
> Here is a signiture I did for an avatar a few years ago.
>
> http://imgur.com/a/uPGFV#1

Perhaps, Mike, I'm missing what you mean by your "wish" for 2d to 3d
extrusion, but in addition to the height field technique Stephen
mentions(1), Inkscape itself has a POV-Ray export to POV-Ray's 3d prism
object. The export worked OK(2) a couple years ago when I tried it and I
know Thomas has worked with it too for his Gancaloon project.

Maybe though, you want specifically a 2d to 3d-closed mesh on the fly?

Bill P.

(1) - Something similar to height_fields can be done with isosurfaces too.

(2) - I did see an issue with something like redundant points, which
caused POV-Ray no issue, but did trip up another program in which I
tried to use the bezier spline output.