POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Colony ship : Re: Colony ship Server Time
8 Jul 2024 01:17:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colony ship
From: Stephen
Date: 27 Jan 2016 07:39:03
Message: <56a8ba67$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/27/2016 11:32 AM, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> Same problem here. Just to render a part of the central hull of my
> starship, it takes several days. I think, the problem is too many
> individual shapes (like boxes and such).
>
> I heard about a plugin for SketchUp, that can export to our POV-Ray
> scene description language. As mesh.I am considering to design a number
> of elements of my ship in Sketchup as meshes, and then add those meshes
> to my POV-Ray scenes. I believe, I will gain render speed by replacing
> hundreds of box with one single mesh shape. Could I be right with my
> assumption?

I have not used SketchUp for some time and was going to say that most of
the models looked very blocky and not very well textured. Then I
rememberd that in the early days of TC-RTC a member used SketchUp with
VRay. The models don't need to be blocky.

Have a look at:

http://www.tc-rtc.co.uk/image/upload//chandan/pw-1250429739-final3.jpg

and his other one

http://www.tc-rtc.co.uk/image/upload//chandan/pw-1245100893-Evidence_2.jpg

But if you are going to learn a new modeller why not give Blender a try?
I know it has a steep learning curve but it is not as bad as it was.
In both PovRay plugins* you can use PovCode for texturing.

* There is an official PovRay exporter and LanuHum's unofficial one.

--

Regards
     Stephen