POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: 3D-Printing of POV-Ray Scenes via OpenSCAD? : Re: 3D-Printing of POV-Ray Scenes via OpenSCAD? Server Time
16 May 2024 00:54:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D-Printing of POV-Ray Scenes via OpenSCAD?
From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 25 Jan 2016 19:03:45
Message: <56a6b7e1@news.povray.org>
Yes, I too have a 3D printer, I just purchased it and am still on my
(long) way to assemble it. There are already some layer-printing 3D
printers, that can use two or up to four different colors of the raw
filament. And there are also those 3D printers, that have full support
of colors if it comes to the print-out item. And there are those new
liquid 3D printers, they allow still only one color.

I think, a new version of STL would address the different colors. Maybe
by requesting a feed from the 2nd or 3rd or 4th filament spool (if it is
a layer-printer). Or even mixing colors fully, like with these
true-color 3D printers. At print begin, the STL language simply has to
check, what type of printer it is, and then make decisions what colors
to define, and in which way.

If POV-Ray could export to STL or at least to OpenSCAD, it would open
entire new worlds! And yes, it's time.