POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: 3D-Printing of POV-Ray Scenes via OpenSCAD? : Re: 3D-Printing of POV-Ray Scenes via OpenSCAD? Server Time
16 May 2024 09:41:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D-Printing of POV-Ray Scenes via OpenSCAD?
From: Chris Cason
Date: 25 Jan 2016 18:14:39
Message: <56a6ac5f@news.povray.org>
On 26/01/2016 10:03, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> Yes, it is a task. But here we have already the begin of something, that
> could be very useful for every POV-Ray user who wants to 3D print
> his/her scenes. I hope, some software developers among us will pick up
> this task. Maybe even the next version of POV-Ray has a built-in
> converter, based on OpenSCAD conversion and shape tesselation...

It is something I have actively considered.

I have a 3D printer and was pretty unhappy with the available freeware
parametric tools for creating models.

I also think POV-Ray has a leg up in this area, too, for the future
time when full-color 3D printing becomes more common: since we model
solids, our native textures go right through the object and scale
properly with it, and will appear in the right places no matter how
it's sliced or diced.

While STL doesn't currently support color information I can see a time
when this starts to matter more.

-- Chris