POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Scattering media help : Re: Scattering media help Server Time
28 Jun 2024 21:01:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scattering media help
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 25 Jan 2016 16:56:24
Message: <56a69a08@news.povray.org>
On 1/25/2016 4:48 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 25.01.2016 um 22:46 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>> On 1/25/2016 4:37 PM, clipka wrote:
>>> Think of it this way: If you reduce the density of a gas, you reduce the
>>> probability that any given light ray hits a gas molecule and is diverted
>>> from its original direction to a new one: Light en route to the camera
>>> from the background has less chance of being diverted /away/ from the
>>> camera, while light en route to anywhere in the scene from a light
>>> source has less chance of being diverted /towards/ the camera.
>>
>> I still don't understand why lowering the density of the gas darkens the
>> scene more than not having any media at all.
>
> Are you absolutely sure it does, and you're not seeing the effect from
> any other difference?

I've attached two renders. One is with no media at all. The other is
with the media, but the scattering color set to rgb 0.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'gh_scene_spinner_cutaway_e_no_media.png' (91 KB) Download 'gh_scene_spinner_cutaway_e_zero_density.png' (77 KB)

Preview of image 'gh_scene_spinner_cutaway_e_no_media.png'
gh_scene_spinner_cutaway_e_no_media.png

Preview of image 'gh_scene_spinner_cutaway_e_zero_density.png'
gh_scene_spinner_cutaway_e_zero_density.png