POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Scattering media help : Re: Scattering media help Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:54:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scattering media help
From: clipka
Date: 25 Jan 2016 16:37:07
Message: <56a69583$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.01.2016 um 22:15 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 1/25/2016 4:00 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> Because it differs from the original image. Can I lower the density
>> without changing the color?
>>

>> Mike
>

> Can I use a density statement? How do I make a density function that
> simply lowers the density to 1/10 everywhere?

Of course you can use a density statement -- you're already doing that.
To lower the density to 1/10 everywhere, all you need to do is divide
all the values in the color_map by 10 (but use rgb instead of srgb instead).

/But/ by lowering the density you not only make the background more
visible again -- you also reduce the scattering effect.

Think of it this way: If you reduce the density of a gas, you reduce the
probability that any given light ray hits a gas molecule and is diverted
from its original direction to a new one: Light en route to the camera
from the background has less chance of being diverted /away/ from the
camera, while light en route to anywhere in the scene from a light
source has less chance of being diverted /towards/ the camera.

I might also add that dividing the scattering media colour by 10 has
exactly the same effect as dividing the density values by 10.