POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rent a server? : Re: Rent a server? Server Time
21 May 2024 19:04:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rent a server?
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 23 Jan 2016 20:29:59
Message: <56a42917$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/18/2016 12:34 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 18.01.2016 um 05:25 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>
>> I have a scene that simply takes too long to render. (15+ hours even
>> without reflections or media.) I want to use my computer for other stuff
>> while it renders.
>
> You /can/ run POV-Ray in ways to not eat up all your CPU time; of course
> it will then take even longer, but you should be able to do other stuff
> besides.
>
> You'll want to use the "+WTn" command-line option, where n is the number
> of CPU cores you are willing to dedicate to POV-Ray.
>
> Alternatively you can use the task manager to reduce the process
> priority of POV-Ray.

That is a good tip. By running several intances of POV-Ray I was also
able to render other smaller scenes while my larger and longer scene
chugs away in the background. It's sad though, because I would be
willing to pay a small fee if it also means my scene gets rendered in
less time overall (which should be possible on a render farm). Maybe too
small of a fee to keep companies like these afloat. :(

The latest iteration of my colony ship scene has been running all week
and is almost done. But the next iteration is going to take a lot longer.

Mike