POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chromadepth : Re: Chromadepth Server Time
1 Jul 2024 06:06:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chromadepth
From: Alain
Date: 20 Jan 2016 16:11:47
Message: <569ff813$1@news.povray.org>
Le 16-01-19 23:56, dick balaska a écrit :
> On 1/19/2016 6:24 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> On 1/19/2016 6:21 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>>> For regular printing, the spec sheet says "Resolution Up to 1200 × 6000
>>> dpi", which works out to 1 dot in 0.01290994448735805628393088466594
>>> inches. Maybe you were looking at the Fax section?
>>>

>>> Mike
>>
>> Never mind. Dots per inch is measured in a straight line, not an area.
>>

>> Mike
>
> [ yay, found the post that went out as email ]
>
> Ha! Yes I was looking at the fax section (which is limited by the T4 and
> T30 ancient FAX specs)
>
> So 1200x6000 is very decent, but you still have the "size of dot" issue.
> One thing you can do is photo paper, which has less bleeding/absorbancy
> than regular paper. - Make sure to select the photo paper type driver as
> this prints a lot more slowly to minimize the amount of wet ink sitting
> on the paper.
>
> A pro printing shop will have a loupe with a ruler in it so you can
> measure the size and bleed of dots from your paper.  Walmart (not a pro
> shop) will do an 8x10 for $2.89 .  Photo chemistry is going to give you
> the best true resolution. (Although I don't know the resolution of the
> Fuji gear at Walmart, in 2000 they used our Gretag[1] boxes which did
> true 4800x4800).
>
> [1] I worked on the UI and drivers for the machine. I bowed to the
> superior intelligence of the Swiss engineers who used the width of
> molecules in their chemistry calculations.

One *BIG* limiting factor is the paper used.
Most paper will make the ink from an ink jet printer bleed and spread,
possibly a lot. For the best quality, you need a coated, low capilarity,
paper. That will make the ink take longer to dry, but prevent most
spreading of the ink.

It's not such a problem with laser printer that use dry inks, but it
still can affect the pring quality. For laser printers, the main
limiting factor is the quality of the optics.