POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh2 and file types : Re: Mesh2 and file types Server Time
21 May 2024 07:47:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh2 and file types
From: clipka
Date: 20 Jan 2016 15:03:18
Message: <569fe806$1@news.povray.org>
Am 20.01.2016 um 19:30 schrieb Leroy:
>> You /can/ of course use your own file /extensions/, but that doesn't
>> make them a different file /type/. It'll still be POV-Ray SDL.
>
>  I use the word 'type' to mean 'file /extensions' I don't like to type:)

It may save you time to type, but it will not particularly help in
conveying what you actually mean.

>> (The .ini files are a different matter; they do use an entirely
>> different format, but they also contain data of an entirely different kind.)
>
> Let's face it all these files are plain old txt files formated to what you need.

By extension, you're saying that HTML files are also "plain old text files".

That's not entirely accurate though: While it is true that any POV-Ray
SDL file, any HTML file, any CSV file and what-have-you-not all qualify
as plain old text files, the vast majority of plain old text files do
/not/ qualify as POV-Ray SDL files, HTML files and/or CSV files. So they
are /special cases/ of plain old text files, and therefore do constitute
file types of their own. Your statement is a bit like saying that
chicken are "plain old dinosaurs"; yes, technically they are, but at the
same time they're a species in their own right.

>> If it generates entire scenes, use ".pov". If it generates only objects,
>> use ".inc". In either case, use POV-Ray SDL format and the "mesh2"
>> primitive.
>
> That's what I was looking for. I wanted to know what would be helpful to you!
>
> But I thought POV team encouraged people to use .mac or something like that for
> marcos.

Nope; never heard of those for ages, and those extensions are not
actively encouraged. As a matter of fact I didn't even know POV-Ray for
Windows had any particular support for those extensions, until Dirk
mentioned it just now and I searched through the source code in an
(obviously failed) attempt to prove him wrong.

It's certainly a legacy thing. Besides the Windows editor file open
dialog, there is no reference to "mcr" as a file extension in the entire
POV-Ray project, and as for "mac" I didn't bother to investigate because
the word pops up much more frequently for probably obvious reasons.