POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh2 and file types : Re: Mesh2 and file types Server Time
21 May 2024 20:03:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh2 and file types
From: clipka
Date: 20 Jan 2016 12:44:20
Message: <569fc774$1@news.povray.org>
Am 20.01.2016 um 18:28 schrieb Leroy:
> Every one knows the file types pov, inc, ini. I've have a few 'in house' types I
> use for POV, prm & pol for prisms & polygon for example. I know the POV team has
> some they prefer but I can find any reference to them in the help file.

I have no idea what you're talking about; there is no such thing as a
dedicated file type for POV-Ray prisms and polygons. It's all plain old
POV-Ray SDL (POV-Ray Scene Description Language) files, using the ".pov"
and ".inc" extension depending on whether they're supposed to be the
main scene file or to be included by that main scene file.

You /can/ of course use your own file /extensions/, but that doesn't
make them a different file /type/. It'll still be POV-Ray SDL.

(The .ini files are a different matter; they do use an entirely
different format, but they also contain data of an entirely different kind.)

>  What I'm doing is writing a conversion program for Misfit Modeler and I would
> like to convert its models into a mesh2 pov form. What structure and type should
> I use?

If it generates entire scenes, use ".pov". If it generates only objects,
use ".inc". In either case, use POV-Ray SDL format and the "mesh2"
primitive.