POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chromadepth : Re: Chromadepth Server Time
8 Jun 2024 04:51:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chromadepth
From: dick balaska
Date: 19 Jan 2016 15:19:30
Message: <569e9a52$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/19/2016 1:38 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On 1/19/2016 12:21 PM, Alain wrote:
>> Print using the highest DPI setting available. Home printers should be
>> able to go up to 1400 DPI or more without problem.
>
> Also, here are the specs for my printer.
>
> http://support.brother.com/g/b/spec.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj825dw_all
>
> The highest quality has a pretty good dpi, but to me the images still
> look fuzzy. I wonder if big box stores like Staples can print at higher
> resolution. Or maybe a regular photo lab.

Actually, those are nominally poor specs for graphics printing.
(203x196) Sure, print your iPhone photos, but for the density of your
pic, it's pretty weak.  And they don't mention the size of the smallest
dot, usually on low end 300x300 printers it's 1/72 inch for black and
1/40 inch for color.  I'll bet you get lots of bleed.

203x196 (not even 300x300!) means they used cheap servos that can't
accurately position the head and paper and were too cheap to even use a
reduction gear.

Definitely go check out the photo shop at walmart. You can run some
1200x1200 (or maybe 1440x1440) photo-chemistry test prints fairly cheap.
Alain, 1400 dpi on a home/inkjet printer is only a half truth. That
defines how accurately the paper and head can be positioned, but there
is no chance of spraying 3 colored dots of ink in a 0.0007 inch square.
It's not chemically possible. You need to know the size of the dot to
determine actual resolution.

(I'm not a printing expert, but I played one on TV
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=4728783 ;) )