POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : writing a texture identifier to file : Re: writing a texture identifier to file Server Time
21 May 2024 16:05:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: writing a texture identifier to file
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 19 Jan 2016 03:54:22
Message: <569df9be$1@news.povray.org>
On 19-1-2016 9:27, Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
> El 19/01/16 a las 09:13, Thomas de Groot escribió:
>> I want to write a selected /texture_identifier/ (like "T_stone1" for
>>  instance) to a file as a string. However, I do not succeed. I
>> thought that Parse_String() would do the trick but it generates an
>> error telling me that it expects a string but sees a
>> texture_identifier instead.
>>
>> What to do? Thanks.
>
>    If I read the docs correctly, Parse_String() does just the contrary:
> it takes a string and writes it to a file as an identifier, then
> includes that file.
>
>    That is, given the following array...
>
> #declare TexArray =
>     array[12]{
>       "T_Stone1",  "T_Stone2",
>       "T_Stone3",  "T_Stone4",
>       "T_Stone5",  "T_Stone6",
>       "T_Stone7",  "T_Stone8",
>       "T_Stone9",  "T_Stone10",
>       "T_Stone11", "T_Stone12"
>     };
>
>    ...you would be able to use these as texture identifiers like this:
>
> texture{Parse_String(TexArray[0])}
>
> --
> jaime

The problem is I do not want this, although it could be a solution if
nothing else pops up that is. I would prefer to write the texture
identifier as a text string.

To explain a bit more, I am adapting tiling.inc to include textures
instead of just colours. It is a simple straightforward process where
running the scene is concerned; however, the writing option for this is
more tricky than expected.
--
Thomas