POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rent a server? : Re: Rent a server? Server Time
21 May 2024 10:31:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rent a server?
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 17 Jan 2016 20:36:15
Message: <569c418f$1@news.povray.org>

https://www.prorender.de/renderservice-renderserver-rendermodul-renderfarm-online-miete-preistabelle.html

> The table data should be pretty self-explanatory; each sub-table's first
> row gives you a base price for the slowest CPU clock speed at different
> main memory sizes they provide, while subsequent rows specify how much
> you have to pay extra for CPUs with a faster clock.
>
> Prices are given in EUR-cent per minute (i.e. their lowest price,
> currently "0,54Cent/min", is presumably 0.0054 EUR/min), without VAT
> (expect 19%). Given the current exchange rate, add a few % to the
> EUR-cent figure to get the price in USD-cent.
>
> At the end of the table there's some additional information you have to
> take into account:
>
> - Prices are valid for a use of up to 7 days; if you use their service
> for a longer duration, you pay less.
>
> - Additional fees apply once per render node: 25 EUR for basic
> configuration (I'd presume they don't let you do that yourself), 15 EUR
> for software installation (I'd presume they give you the option to
> install the software yourself), and if you need backups you'll have to
> pay 20 EUR per node for creation and archival, and an additional 20 EUR
> if you ever need to have the system restored from a backup.
>
>> The second one is kind of expensive at 25 cents per GHz/h.
>
> That would depend on whether the GHz they sell is per core, or "virtual"
> GHz per CPU. That German service starts out at about 15 cents per
> CPU-GHz/h, or approx. 2 cents per HT-Core-GHz/h.

Those setup and configuration prices are the real deal-breakers for me,
but the other rates are kind of high. For instance, my processor is
almost 4GHz and has 4 cores, and my latest scene took 16 hours to
render. So at 25 cents and 1Ghz with 1 core it would take (roughly) 16
times as long, or 256 GHz-hours, or $64 total, not including setup fees.

That's not worth the price for me.

I don't understand what you mean by "virtual" GHz.

Mike