POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rent a server? : Re: Rent a server? Server Time
21 May 2024 14:06:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rent a server?
From: clipka
Date: 17 Jan 2016 17:13:49
Message: <569c121d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.01.2016 um 20:46 schrieb Mike Horvath:

> There are two services listed here:
>
> http://rentrender.com/pov-ray-render-farms/
>
> The first one is in German, so I don't know what the rates are.

This is their pricing table:

https://www.prorender.de/renderservice-renderserver-rendermodul-renderfarm-online-miete-preistabelle.html

The table data should be pretty self-explanatory; each sub-table's first
row gives you a base price for the slowest CPU clock speed at different
main memory sizes they provide, while subsequent rows specify how much
you have to pay extra for CPUs with a faster clock.

Prices are given in EUR-cent per minute (i.e. their lowest price,
currently "0,54Cent/min", is presumably 0.0054 EUR/min), without VAT
(expect 19%). Given the current exchange rate, add a few % to the
EUR-cent figure to get the price in USD-cent.

At the end of the table there's some additional information you have to
take into account:

- Prices are valid for a use of up to 7 days; if you use their service
for a longer duration, you pay less.

- Additional fees apply once per render node: 25 EUR for basic
configuration (I'd presume they don't let you do that yourself), 15 EUR
for software installation (I'd presume they give you the option to
install the software yourself), and if you need backups you'll have to
pay 20 EUR per node for creation and archival, and an additional 20 EUR
if you ever need to have the system restored from a backup.

> The second one is kind of expensive at 25 cents per GHz/h.

That would depend on whether the GHz they sell is per core, or "virtual"
GHz per CPU. That German service starts out at about 15 cents per
CPU-GHz/h, or approx. 2 cents per HT-Core-GHz/h.