POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Textures on negative blob components matter & enable useful techniques. : Re: Textures on negative blob components matter & enableusefultechniques. Server Time
15 May 2024 06:22:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Textures on negative blob components matter & enableusefultechniques.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 14 Jan 2016 09:57:55
Message: <5697b773$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/14/2016 01:46 AM, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> Hi William,
>
> I was reading your posting, but am not so sure if these new discoveries
> on blobs and blob textures mean any improvement for my own blob problem.
>
> Are you saying, I have to use one more texture for blobs, and in some
> special way?

No.

I have since found the technique is tangled in the same numerical
accuracy issue. Meaning, I often need my patched POV-Ray for such -
clear-pos-texture-neg test scenes to work without artifacts.

> -----------
>
> Another question: when I compiled an own PVEngine64.exe, and apply your
> suggested change (2 becomes to 3), then the program crashes each time.
> Did it function on your computer?

I saw your posts, but I am unable to assist directly. I run on linux and
patched the older stable branch invalid for a compile on windows. I too
doubt your windows crash issue is related to the numeric change.

Are blob-less scenes of similar complexity and render size running fine
with your compiled exe ? Does your crashing scene run fine with the
pre-compiled binary to which Christoph pointed you?

I've been collecting & cleaning up problem blob scenes from years past
with the hope the scenes might be of use at a later time to the core
developers. Your problem blob, though simply textured, is in this
collection.

The patched code(1) doesn't fix every blob issue I've re-discovered, but
it does fix many - including FS288 as it turned out. Yet to see it break
anything.

Aside: I forgot to add a credit for the photo used in my original
posting. It's a press photo for the musical group "The Defibulators."

Bill P.

(1) - I have since moved to 1e-4 in my testing because this accuracy
scaling (and AA as Alain noted at the time) was required for a scene
Cousin Ricky posted back in 2008.