POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : "near sunset" : Re: "near sunset" Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:44:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "near sunset"
From: clipka
Date: 10 Jan 2016 23:10:30
Message: <56932b36@news.povray.org>
Am 11.01.2016 um 02:47 schrieb Sven Littkowski:
> Yes, the fault might be on my side: I am using, unfortunately, one of
> these flat-screens. If you watch from a slightly wrong angle, what is
> supposed to be dark appears less dark but in a lighter and unrealistic

> (in front), and it looks okay. Sorry. I should continue to use my older
> large regular monitors...   :-)
>
> I mean it, no joke.

The problem isn't the flatscreen /per se/; some are good, some aren't.
It depends on the exact variation of the LCD technology involved.

My primary display is pretty good, it's a 24" 16:10 EIZO with inbuilt
calibration and a horrible price tag, which gives a very homogenous
colour representation across the entire screen even when I move my head
around (within reasonable limits). My secondary display, on the other
hand, is rather poor in comparison, being a 24" 16:10 EIZO as well but
with a much more affordable price tag; horizontally the colour
representation is barely uniform when sitting perfectly centered, and
vertically hues differ across the screen no matter where I place my head.

So it's really a matter of getting what you paid for. But yes, in terms
of colour management good old CRT displays still win over most anything
LCD-based. I wouldn't want to burden my desk with two 24" devices of
that type though.

Also, genuine OLEDs (as opposed to LCDs with OLED-based backlights) are
an entirely different matter; I'd expect them to be about on par with
CRTs when it comes to colour stability (in space, that is; they do
degrade over time, probably more so than CRTs, so occasional calibration
would seem mandatory).