POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Colony ship : Re: Colony ship Server Time
28 Apr 2024 09:14:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colony ship
From: clipka
Date: 9 Jan 2016 20:48:21
Message: <5691b865$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.01.2016 um 01:51 schrieb Mike Horvath:

> I guess I should clarify that what you see in that last image is not a
> texture, but a physical array of cylinders and tori. Replacing them with
> a proper texture would make the scene render much faster as well.

Ah, I guess we have a misunderstanding there. I thought you wanted the
semi-transparent paraboloid sheet to look more like a fine mesh, but now
my understanding is that it is the visible support structure of that
paraboloid that you want to look more like a mesh.

Well, my guess there is that it doesn't look like wires because they're
not really the size of wires, and also because the "longitudinal" and
"latitudinal" structures simply intersect. Maybe if they just touched
each other, possibly in an alternating "weaving" fashion, and maybe
connected with some "clamps", it might look better.

Also I wouldn't use copper. It's expensive, heavy, and you only need it
if there are high currents involved. Presuming the shield is primarily
based on static voltage, metals with higher resistance should work just
as fine.

Aluminum might make for a great alternative, too.