POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spiral tube? : Re: Spiral tube? Server Time
17 May 2024 06:40:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spiral tube?
From: Alain
Date: 6 Jan 2016 15:46:29
Message: <568d7d25$1@news.povray.org>
Le 16-01-06 00:48, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> How do I create a spiral tube, like a spring? Like this:
>
> http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/animate/anim16e.htm
>
> but a single object, not a union of spheres?
>
> Thanks!
>

> Mike

It can be done as an isosurface. In fact, there are two builtin
functions that does just that.

In function.inc, those are: f_helix1() and f_helix2()

The various parameters controll the shape of the spiral, it's spacing
and some other aspects. Those are some of the functions using the
largest number of parameters.
The extent of the shapes generated are dependent on the contained_by
object. Use a box just whide enough to contain the spiral and as long as
needed.
Take some time to experiment.

If you want to use that shape in an animation similar to the linked one,
you need to adjust the length of the box at the same time that you
adjust the pitch of the helix.

If the amplitude of the sooilationsis relatively small, and the spring
far/small enough, it may be possible to use some scalling, but the
profile of the "whire" will also change.

Alain