POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : GPU-Support for POV-Ray? : Re: GPU-Support for POV-Ray? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 09:05:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU-Support for POV-Ray?
From: scott
Date: 6 Jan 2016 04:04:34
Message: <568cd8a2$1@news.povray.org>
> What is the benefit of having GPU rendering rather than just going to
> the store and buying yourself a faster processor? Are GPUs inherently
> better at this stuff than CPUs?

For very simple algorithms that run a huge number of times on slighty
different input parameters, a GPU can often be several orders of
magnitude faster than a CPU. For example I ported a very simple
path-tracer from CPU to GPU, it ended up about 1000x faster as it is
perfectly suited to running on a GPU. There's a short video of it in
action here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXQa5kHspFk

The issue is with more complex real-world applications, they need to be
broken down into "bitesize" chunks that a GPU can run efficiently, and
between each "chunk" being run on the GPU, some amount of processing is
likely required to prepare. Often not easy from a conceptual point of
view, and there is no guarantee that the resulting application will be
much faster than the original CPU-only version.