POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : GPU-Support for POV-Ray? : Re: GPU-Support for POV-Ray? Server Time
19 May 2024 18:25:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU-Support for POV-Ray?
From: scott
Date: 5 Jan 2016 04:14:15
Message: <568b8967$1@news.povray.org>
> I think you are right on this. Thats just how the render-pipeline goes into
> "OpenCL".
>
> Let me say that its just a old missconception to say that GPU's "can only render
> simple stuff". This was true in the past but let me show you this video to
> correct your opinion to the opposite.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByJGkSzh4eQ
>
> In fact "modelling and rendering" in REAL-TIME of several Diamonds, including
> transparence, refraction and REAL dispersion is "state-of-the-art". As you can
> see in this video.

It's only rendering a triangle mesh though. POV is far more complex than
that. I have not see a GPU raytracer that can render many different
mathematical primitives at the same time. *That* requires an awful lot
more work, and won't be anywhere near as optimised as a raytracer that
renders just meshes or just isosurfaces etc.