POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gamma issues again : Re: Gamma issues again Server Time
29 May 2024 02:59:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma issues again
From: scott
Date: 4 Jan 2016 11:30:55
Message: <568a9e3f$1@news.povray.org>
>> My idea is that if you convert your chroma values to a colour space with
>> almost equal-sized MacAdam's ellipses, you can then just do a linear
>> interpolation in that colour space, and you should get "perfect" hue
>> blends for any colours.
>
> Sounds very interesting.  I've been wondering about a perceptually linear color
> space, though none that I have seen looks linear to my own eyes--not Munsell,
> not CIELAB.  (I am hearing of CIELUV for the first time, though.)

There is Yu'v' or Yu*v* which is an improved (more perceptually linear)
version of Yuv. FWIW that colour space is commonly used in the
specification of colour coordinates of LCDs. For those it is important

applied to red, green, blue or white.

> However, it strikes me as overkill for a ray tracer, so I agree with Clipka that
> it should be low priority.

Indeed, especially as you often just manually add in some additional
control points to get the effect you want. Adding full GPU support is
far more pressing :-)