POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : GPU-Support for POV-Ray? : Re: GPU-Support for POV-Ray? Server Time
19 May 2024 20:47:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU-Support for POV-Ray?
From: scott
Date: 4 Jan 2016 04:33:15
Message: <568a3c5b$1@news.povray.org>
> In short: The rendering speed of a CPU of these days is within the
> measurement-tolerance of an actual (not so actual ... HD 7990) graphics card.

> They do NOT have currently such a
> nice rendering SDL like POV-Ray.

That is not a coincidence.

GPUs are excellent for writing a simple raytracer that runs very fast.
By simple, I mean only supporting one type of simple shape (eg mesh,
isosurface, sphere), no CSG, no general procedural textures, only one or
two types of light in a scene etc. The point is the code that is run on
the GPU is very specific, and the GPU hardware then excels at running
this exact code millions of times on different data.

However if you wanted to implement an SDL like POV-ray's, you would need
code to handle every possible primitive shape (each shape needs it own
intersection algorithm), every possible procedural texture, CSG, shadow
and lighting algorithms for every possible finish and light type etc.
Such a large bit of code, where each time it is "run", a different small
portion is actually executed, is not well suited to a GPU at all.