POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : From <1 second Rendertime to >1 hr just by adding AA 0.3 : Re: From <1 second Rendertime to >1 hr just by adding AA 0.3 Server Time
19 May 2024 18:26:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: From <1 second Rendertime to >1 hr just by adding AA 0.3
From: clipka
Date: 4 Jan 2016 04:31:47
Message: <568a3c03$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.01.2016 um 07:55 schrieb Theogott:
>> Am 03.01.2016 um 23:09 schrieb Theogott:
>>> This is a funny thing. We all know that AA takes time. But sooo much?
>>>
>>> The scene below renders <1 Second here, without AA.
>>> If i turn on AA 0.3, it renders ... forever ... ~1 hr.
>>
>> Not sure what brutish computer you have at your disposal, but even
>> without AA I don't see render times anywhere close to 1s here. More like
>> a bit under 4 minutes with POV-Ray 3.6.
>>
>> For some reason, POV-Ray 3.7 seems to grind to a halt -- possibly
>> because its handling of max_trace_level with regards to fully
>> transparent surfaces is different.

> Render Options
>   Quality:  5

Ah - now THAT does make a difference!

Running with the "+Q5" command-line option, I get 1s render time, too.
But even then activating AA doesn't change the render times drastically.

> UberPOV finished

You didn't mention that fact either.

> There seems to be a huge Difference in Rendertime between Uber-POV and POV-Ray.
> WHY?

Is there? I don't see any. Not with identical command-line settings, at
any rate.