POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Ideal Linux distribution : Re: Ideal Linux distribution Server Time
26 Apr 2024 10:51:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ideal Linux distribution
From: clipka
Date: 2 Jan 2016 14:39:14
Message: <56882762$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.01.2016 um 19:03 schrieb Le_Forgeron:

> Xfce is a lighter window manager, but the fastest is a SSH/telnet
> connection without X11 at all. As long as you do not want to display
> pictures...

Testing the preview display on Linux should be possible; also I'd like
to have the possibility to edit files directly on the Linux box, but I'm
pretty unfamiliar with both vi and emacs keyboard controls, and more of
a mouse jockey anyway, so that rules out SSH/telnet.

> Back to your question, you can install Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
> (installation need a head, then you can activate ssh server and forget
> the head until you need really it... such as broken network). Your
> next update would be 16.04 (in late April/June 2016) but you can wait
> until 2019 to move away from it.

Ubuntu is indeed on my list of candidates, for that very reason. I don't
like its default user interface though, and I guess it's not optimized
for remote operation either, so I'd probably want to install some
alternative interface.

> Only drawback I would foresee, the compiler of 14.04 is gcc 4.8.

And that would be a problem because...??

> And you need to know the CLI to display pictures (my favorite are eog
> and display).

Not sure what you're saying here.