POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Using "Luxray.dll" as part of POV-Ray? : Re: Using "Luxray.dll" as part of POV-Ray? Server Time
19 May 2024 20:47:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using "Luxray.dll" as part of POV-Ray?
From: clipka
Date: 1 Jan 2016 13:26:16
Message: <5686c4c8$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.01.2016 um 10:15 schrieb Theogott:
> As i have read, "Luxray" is a DLL that includes support for GPU (via OpenCL) and
> can freely be used for anybody's Rendering Project - even commercial projects.
> It may also contain support for Network Rendering.

Just for the records: The name is LuxRays, not LuxRay.

> Lets say you can attach it to POV-Ray in some way. Would you save work that you
> could use on another edge?
>
> Could it be used for POV-Ray to make new Features available?

Possibly, in theory. But...:

> License
>
> All the code included in LuxRays repository (i.e. LuxRays, LuxCore, LuxCore
> implementation aka SLG) has been released under a new license: Apache Licence
> 2.0. It is a very liberal license allowing the use of the code inside commercial
> products too.

The FSF considers the Apache 2.0 license to be compatible with the GPL
3.0, but we'd have to examine whether it is also compatible with the
AGPL 3.0 (strictly speaking AGPL 3.0 and GPL 3.0 are mutually incompatible).

> Features
> triangle mesh primitive support (support for other kind of primitive may be
> added in the future);

That makes it a no-go for POV-Ray; any library that is limited to a
fixed set of primitives is of no use for us.

If the library should ever provide an interface to support custom
primitives, it might be worth investing time to examine whether (and if
so, how) it could be integrated into POV-Ray's internal workflow. Until
then, any further discussion about it is, unfortunately, completely moot.