POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : PREVIEW: Imperial Space Ark "Mankind" / CONTEST : Re: PREVIEW: Imperial Space Ark "Mankind" / CONTEST Server Time
28 Jun 2024 17:47:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PREVIEW: Imperial Space Ark "Mankind" / CONTEST
From: clipka
Date: 26 Dec 2015 08:05:55
Message: <567e90b3$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.12.2015 um 12:32 schrieb Sven Littkowski:
> Hmmm.....
> The same concepts exists all over the world, and many of us accept free
> cooperations actually. Let me give you examples:
>
> OPEN OFFICE
> Many software developers are working together to produce Open Office.
> Yes, Oracle is the company behind. And still, people work together. For
> free (yes, I know, it's a sin in your eyes).

Interestingly, the primary developers have by now hollered out loud
"f*ck you, Oracle!" and moved on to Libre Office.

> FACEBOOK
> Everyone who uses Facebook agrees to give personal data to the marketing
> and advertizing companies behind, FB earns a fortune by that.

Most people just don't realize that that's what they're doing.

> POV-RAY
> If I'm not entirely wrong, it might be, that the one or other person who
> develops POV-Ray does it also without charging money. Still, POV-Ray is
> also a legal body, a type of company (though anachronistically and
> anarchical  non-commercial like me).

Actually, the legal body is "Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd." -- and the fact
that it even exists is because other companies tried to rip off the
project by including POV-Ray code in their commercial products without
even so much as giving credit.

That aside, you certainly misunderstood the point Pekka was making, and
to which Thomas agreed: They didn't say "sharing is bad"; what they said
was, "I'm not into doing art as a joint effort."

Both may be fine with sharing some of their /existing/ work in one way
or the other (as a matter, presenting the resulting images here already
constitutes some way of sharing), and they certainly won't condemn
others who love to join forces with others to create art."

Also...

> I herewith pull down my call for the contest, and consider this thread
> as closed. I also promise, that I won't ever again ask for others to
> join for a larger, common project. No need to answer this thread again,
> as I understood and won't open this thread again for reading. Mankind's
> attitude is causing to much frustration and limitations.

... it's an entirely different matter whether you ask others to join
/your/ art project, or whether you ask others to start a /common/
project together with you.

As for me, I'm not doing POV-Ray development for altruistic reasons. I
do it for the very egoistic sake of getting a pat on the shoulder now
and again from the users of my work.

Also, I didn't join the POV-Ray dev team because they asked for coding
monkeys to implement their vision. I did it because I love to do
realistically-looking renders (when I find the time), which in POV-Ray
inevitably means radiosity, but integration of radiosity in POV-Ray 3.7
-- which promised faster render times -- was lagging behind. I was
impatient to see the feature implemented, and if that meant having to
get my hands dirty on the POV-Ray code myself, that's what I'd do.

If you want people to join a project of yours, you either have to pay
them some kind of compensation, or you /really/ need to get across that
it'll also be /their/ project. And at that you're doing a pretty poor
job. Nobody will volunteer for a project if they get the impression
they'll be nothing more than your odd hand.