POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : PREVIEW: Imperial Space Ark "Mankind" / CONTEST : Re: PREVIEW: Imperial Space Ark "Mankind" / CONTEST Server Time
25 Jun 2024 22:13:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PREVIEW: Imperial Space Ark "Mankind" / CONTEST
From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 26 Dec 2015 06:32:33
Message: <567e7ad1@news.povray.org>
Hmmm.....
The same concepts exists all over the world, and many of us accept free
cooperations actually. Let me give you examples:

OPEN OFFICE
Many software developers are working together to produce Open Office.
Yes, Oracle is the company behind. And still, people work together. For
free (yes, I know, it's a sin in your eyes).

FACEBOOK
Everyone who uses Facebook agrees to give personal data to the marketing
and advertizing companies behind, FB earns a fortune by that. Still,
many persons support that money-earning concept from FB by using it and
submitting therefore their data. For my part, I do not intend to earn
money from my spaceship. In fact, based on an earlier discussion with
one of the active members here, I got the intention to offer my
spaceship, when it is finish, to the POV-Ray team as free include for
all other users. For my own part, I am not someone who's just always
greedy for money. I have some other values I am believing in and this
will show when I offer my ship as includable scene file to the POV-Ray team.

POV-RAY
If I'm not entirely wrong, it might be, that the one or other person who
develops POV-Ray does it also without charging money. Still, POV-Ray is
also a legal body, a type of company (though anachronistically and
anarchical  non-commercial like me).

POV-RAY
There is also the object database, where users upload (without
charging?!?) their creations in order to make them available to all
others. This was the intended destiny for my ship, if the POV-Ray team
would reject my offer to have it included as includable scene file
through the editor menu. Strange, that so many people are sinning by
giving their input for free...

SPORE
You even have to purchase that game, in order to be fully able to create
your own creations and upload them for everyone's availability. It is a
very commercial company behind. Still, millions do this.

WINAMP
This music player, developed by a commercial company, lives from its
amazing visual plugins that display the most amazing visual patterns in
the rhythm of the music it plays. These plugins are developed by private
persons, and help that commercial company to distribute their products
(not only WinAmp as the basic version is free, like POV-Ray).

ME
My initial idea was, to populate a virtual universe with the amazing
creations of others and me (search for my other postings, months and
years ago). But this is not a commercial project, thus it must not be
supported. I understand that, I see the larger pattern.

Many other big and very commercial companies invite regular people to do
things for them, and they do. I don't really like that idea, as this is
in my eyes exploitation. But I am a private person, I am acting as
private person, and what I do with POV-Ray, is my private fun and hobby.
I am waiting for the first person to come forward and trying to tell me,
that I am intending to use my ship in some company-based commercial way.

I understand, that in a world driven by money, gold, glitter and other
false (or destructive) values, it is not easy to find open minds who
would participate in a project just for the sake of fun. Most people, I
agree as this is what I am observing since many years, want money. Maybe
it is my big fault, that I just cannot believe in money alone. But I
respect, of course, the decisions of each of you here. Well, no problem,
I won't ask ever again for interested people to join. I will use just my
own creations for the virtual space world I am creating.

---

I herewith pull down my call for the contest, and consider this thread
as closed. I also promise, that I won't ever again ask for others to
join for a larger, common project. No need to answer this thread again,
as I understood and won't open this thread again for reading. Mankind's
attitude is causing to much frustration and limitations.