POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Moon rendering (prototype) : Re: Moon rendering (prototype) Server Time
28 Jun 2024 06:26:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moon rendering (prototype)
From: Alain
Date: 16 Dec 2015 20:21:02
Message: <56720dfe$1@news.povray.org>
Le 15-12-16 17:59, Sven Littkowski a écrit :
> Thanks to both of you, Thomas and Clipka. Yes, I assumed it is the
> amount of matter, like mountains or valley which have the one or another
> influence. But I wonder, if also the TYPE OF MATTER has influence, too.
> Example: I wonder, if a iron sphere of 10,000 km diameter produces the
> same gravity as a styrofoam sphere of 10,000 km diameter. I believe, not
> only the amount of matter matters, but the type of matter matters, too.
> Am I right?

As the sphere of iron is probably about 5 times as dense as your
styrofoam, even after it have collapsed from it's own mass a few Km
down, the iron sphere will have a much greater gravity than the styrene
one. It all depends on the average density of the planete, whitch
dictate it's total mass, whitch, with the radius, determine the surface
gravity.

A planet made entirely from water would be about 5 times larger than the
Earth to have about the same surface gravity, and an escape velocity
about 5 times higher.