POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Random POV-Ray 4 SDL proposal, #1 : Re: Random POV-Ray 4 SDL proposal, #1 Server Time
4 May 2024 23:29:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random POV-Ray 4 SDL proposal, #1
From: scott
Date: 15 Dec 2015 06:55:55
Message: <566fffcb$1@news.povray.org>
> Personally, as someone who just likes to make nice-looking images and animations
> (and not being a 'programmer' per se), the use of HTML color formatting seems
> *much* less intuitive than our current vector format. For example, <1,.4,.7> vs.
> something like FFDFB  (I made up that last term!) With the vector approach, I
> can write a 'first approximation' color quite easily if I want to, then tweak it
> by eye.

I think clipka's point is that you would use the vector format with the
linear colour identifier, and the hex format with the sRGB identifier.
That makes perfect sense to me, because if you're tinkering with
something like <1,.4,.7> you probably want that to be a linear colour
(ie green is 40% of maximum brightness) - unless you can do the sRGB
conversions in your head :-)