POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : export to .obj file? : Re: export to .obj file? Server Time
29 May 2024 04:38:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: export to .obj file?
From: clipka
Date: 9 Dec 2015 19:32:12
Message: <5668c80c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.12.2015 um 15:50 schrieb clipka:
> "peyrol" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> Is there any software which can input a POVray script definition of an object
>> and turn it into an .obj file? Thanks.
>
> If your POV-Ray script has a straightforward structure and contains only mesh or
> mesh2 objects, then PoseRay may be able to read it.

Also, Jerome Grimbert has developed a patched version of POV-Ray that
seems to be able to tesselate (i.e. generate meshes from) arbitrary
POV-Ray objects, and can export them at least in STL format, which
should be convertible to .obj using some external converter.

It is also possible to implement a tesselation algorithm as a piece of
POV-Ray script, but I'd only consider that as a last resort, as it would
probably require quite some parsing time.

Tesselation is a mandatory requirement when converting arbitrary POV-Ray
objects into .obj files, as POV-Ray uses raw mathematical
representations for most of its primitives (e.g. center point and radius
in case of a sphere) during the entire rendering process, whereas the
.obj file format can only store polygon meshes.