POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Should Parsing really take that long? How to speed it up? : Re: Should Parsing really take that long? How to speed it up? Server Time
29 Apr 2024 05:44:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Should Parsing really take that long? How to speed it up?
From: Stephen
Date: 4 Dec 2015 16:04:39
Message: <5661ffe7$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/4/2015 8:46 PM, ILM wrote:
>>> Warning_Level=n  Allows you to turn off classes of warnings.
>>> +WLn    Same as Warning_Level=n
>
> I really do not know why, but +WL0 does still show the parsing error.
>

>>> Regarding the file
>>> 1) It is a nearly 10 MB .pov file.
>>
>> That's not a trivial scene, but I've seen .pov files four times that
>> size parse in less than a minute. My current guess would be that your
>> .pov file loads an excessive number of PNG files -- or, possibly more to
>> the point, that it loads a reasonable number of PNG files an excessive
>> number of times.
>
> I went a step further and looked into the file.
>
> #declare cube=pigment { image_map { png "povincludes/cube.png"} }
> object { M_0
>    matrix <
>    0.7071472,  -5.718298E-05,  -0.7070668,
>    4.944397E-05,  1,  -3.142396E-05,
>    0.7070668,  -1.273882E-05,  0.7071472,
>    94.1652,  8.476583,  -71.2338>
>
> this Object repeats 30.000 times (!) with different numbers.
>
> So back to the point that I want to speed things up.

Are you a developer or a user of the logistics program?
The Pov code need to be changed so that it defines a macro with
different variables.
I am not a programmer but I have been using programs that export Pov
code, for about 15 years. It is a problem with machine written code. :-(

> Question 1: How should the file (scene?) look like when it contains a object
> that is repeated 30.000 times at different locations to minimize parsing time.

It might use a macro or a loop. I am no coder. So others might be of
more help, here.

> Question 2: Rendering directly scales with my cpu cores. Parsing unfortunately
> does not. If there is is no chance to change the file format and no chance to
> switch to ssd. Is there anything that might help to improve the parsing
> performance? (I tried running multiple instances of pov ray. That worked pretty
> well!)

There is functionality in WinPov to use a file Queue and if your
software exports each frame as a pov file. You could use that.

Help
1.5.7.6 File Queue dialog

But then as you are using less cores for each render it is a trade off
against Parsing and rendering.

--

Regards
     Stephen