POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Colors too dark and washed out : Re: Colors too dark and washed out Server Time
15 Jun 2024 11:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colors too dark and washed out
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 23 Nov 2015 22:23:08
Message: <5653d81c$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/23/2015 09:31 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> I just noticed that there are sRGB values in a spreadsheet here:
>
> http://www.rit.edu/cos/colorscience/rc_munsell_renotation.php

The 1943 renotation is an extrapolation of the 1929 data set, and is
thus far more comprehensive.  It would certainly be more useful than
what you have now.  However...

> I may just use those instead. But are they copyrighted?

With a vengeance:  http://www.rit.edu/terms_of_use.html

Note "derivative works" in their language.  Also note the Copyright
Infringement link, which wields the DMCA.  These people sound serious.
I have rendered the 1943 data myself, but I dare not publish it. At
least the copyright on the 1929 data has expired.  If it makes you feel
better, most of the extra 1943 points are outside the sRGB gamut anyway.

(One copy on one computer?  Screw that!  I'm not screening these files
out from my regular backups.)

You can always contact RIT for permission to use their data in a
GNU-LGPL 2.1 project.  The worse they can do is say no.  Alternatively,
you can go straight to the source at:

   https://www.osapublishing.org/josa/abstract.cfm?uri=josa-33-7-385

but you will have to pay for it.  The OSA Web site is also copyrighted
(as are nearly all Web sites), but I don't know what rights are reserved
for the papers in their library.