POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : large city models in povray : Re: large city models in povray Server Time
29 May 2024 08:00:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: large city models in povray
From: clipka
Date: 19 Nov 2015 03:46:47
Message: <564d8c77$1@news.povray.org>
Am 18.11.2015 um 15:19 schrieb christian:

> I will use povray to render scenes from a large city model. Each object of the
> city model is a single wavefront obj-file. There are about 4'500 objects. The
> objects are mapped with an image.
> I wrote a python-script to convert the files into pov-scenes. Each object in a
> single include-file. In the scene-file i include all of this files. When i will
> render the scene (just a small section in the camera definition) i have a
> problem with the memory, while povray is parsing the scene. It works when i
> leave out the image mapping. The Objects are then the just "grey".
>
> Can anybody give me a tip, how i can solve this problem? Is it possible to say
> povray, that it should just parse the section in the cameraview?

There are several approaches you could try:

(1) Re-use some objects in multiple places to reduce the number of
objects (and textures) to load. Make sure to load each such object into
POV-Ray only once, using "#declare Foo = mesh2 { ... }", and then
instantiate it multiple times using "object { Foo }".

(2) Re-use the same image maps on multiple objects to only reduce the
number of textures to load. Again, make sure to load each image map only
once, using "#declare Foo = image_map { ... }", and then instantiate it
multiple times using "image_map { Foo }".

(3) Make use of "#if(...) #include "Foo_HighDetail.inc" #else #include
"Foo_LowDetail.inc" #end" to load low-detail versions of your objects
and/or textures if they're far from the camera position (note that
you'll need to provide the low-detail versions yourself), or even
exclude them objects entirely.