POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Nitpicking about isosurface threshold : Re: Nitpicking about isosurface threshold Server Time
7 May 2024 09:38:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nitpicking about isosurface threshold
From: scott
Date: 11 Nov 2015 02:52:55
Message: <5642f3d7@news.povray.org>
> Thank you very much. It helps indeed. First in understanding the isosurface and
> second in understandig the mandelbulb computations. I wondered about a setting
> by Tor Olav Kristensen in his code he gave here some years ago. Now I see that
> this was an approach to estimate the distance to the mandelbulb, but different
> from yours at first sight. But I must admit that my knowledge about stuff like
> complex analysis and it extrapolation into 3-Space is a bit limited nowadays.

I don't pretend at all to have derived the distance equation, or even
understand how/why it works (or even have coded it correctly). But I did
get stuck in a similar situation to you when writing my GPU-based
isosurface renderer, and found the solution so thought I'd share. It
seems to work ok (see attached) so I stuck with it without
investigating/optimising further.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'download.png' (275 KB)