POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Nitpicking about isosurface threshold : Re: Nitpicking about isosurface threshold Server Time
7 May 2024 04:06:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nitpicking about isosurface threshold
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 9 Nov 2015 14:29:13
Message: <5640f409$1@news.povray.org>
> To be more precise: I have a function yielding
> only 0 or 1 depending on the membership to a given set.

I think the implicit assumption of the iso_surface is that
the set f(x) == threshold actually represents a 2d surface
and the numerical solver can creep up to that solution from
both sides using the 3d function gradient.

What you do seems more like a description of an "inside"
volume and you expect to render the surface of the volume.
I would not be surprised at unintuitive behavior here, I'm
more surprised you got a reasonable result at all :)