POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Loopable "smoke". : Re: Loopable "smoke". Server Time
6 May 2024 00:15:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Loopable "smoke".
From: Alain
Date: 24 Oct 2015 18:05:45
Message: <562c00b9@news.povray.org>
Le 15-10-23 01:07, Patrick Elliott a écrit :

> Huh.. Hadn't thought of just rotating.. When thinking on things I
> realized that a) it might not matter if it didn't loop, and b).. not
> sure how you would make it do so. lol But, yeah, a texture, just rotated
> though 360 degrees on the surface.. Yeah, that would work whether or not
> I needed to actually loop or not.
>
> Have to play with the texture though. I need it to be "wispy", which
> those are not. lol But, it gives me a place to start. And, if nothing
> else I can always do what I did before, but.. with better results - use
> the mist one, or something like it, as a mask, or with "blend options,
> and something that adds glow, and brightness to a straight texture.
> Could almost do that with Photoshop itself, except that its "3D Render"
> thing for clouds doesn't let you a) rotate or otherwise change the
> result, b) is random, and c) doesn't let you alter the parameters of the
> resulting clouds. In other words, a pain in the ass. ;)

To have a "wispy" texture, I would be tempted to start with bumps or
bozo, add some custon colour_map, then add some turbulence.
To keep the turbulence consistent, I highly recommend using a wrap{}
block. That way, the turbulence can be applyed before the rotation and
any other transformation. Without the warp, all transformations are
applyed, then, the turbulence is applyed.
That way, it's possible to have multiple levels of turbulence at
different scale factors.