POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : mesh camera help needed : Re: mesh camera help needed Server Time
5 May 2024 13:53:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mesh camera help needed
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 21 Oct 2015 10:02:22
Message: <56279aee$1@news.povray.org>
Le 19/10/2015 13:29, CAD-Andi a écrit :

>> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Camera
>>
>> If I got it right from the code (tracepixel.cpp), the fisheye of
>> povray is wikipedia orthographic : r = f.sin(theta).
>> (in the code of povray, the computation is done the opposite way: you
>> start with r (named rad), compute theta (named phi) and use that phi
>> as the angle of the ray from the focal axis.
>>

> Thanks for confirming that POVRay's fisheye is in wiki orthographic. I was
> wondering what projection method was beeing used. Thanks!

Ok, two points, now that I analysed the povray's fisheye code.

1. It's well a wiki orthographic mapping (so I was correct on that).

2. phi in code is the rotation around the direction axis (so it is not
theta), theta is the late y0 value. (as long as you use unit vectors for
the up & right vectors of the camera, the mapping is r = F.sin(theta) )