POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Returning user - Simple ? question : Re: Returning user - Simple ? question Server Time
28 Apr 2024 02:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Returning user - Simple ? question
From: Alain
Date: 18 Oct 2015 14:42:34
Message: <5623e81a@news.povray.org>

> AQ <AQ### [at] worldcom> wrote:
>

>> I have a virtual block made of several wood that I want use a sphere
>> to cut a depression onto to make it into a bowl.  When I try it the
>> pigment of the sphere shown on the surface hiding the laminations.  I
>> am sure in the past I could get this to work.  Any advice would be
>> appreciated.
>
> As Clipka said, the cutaway-textures feature has an *averaging* behavior-- but
> that only occurs when you have *overlapping* textured objects (like concentric
> solid spheres within spheres.) If you want to see the 'pure' textures of your
> various pieces of wood when you carve your bowl, the way to do it is to build
> your initial 'block' of laminated wood (prior to CSG) out of separate,
> NON-overlapping pieces, each textured individually. It
> appears that you have already done this.  ;-)  Then, use NON-textured spheres
> as the cutaway objects, as has already been mentioned.
>
> Here's some example code that I threw together (based on the POV-Ray features in
> v3.6.2.) The separate wood 'layers' have very tiny gaps between them, to avoid
> overlaps and any coincident-surface problems.

Another way would be to use a gradient pattern with a texture_map
containing the various wood, or any other, textures to be used.

Advantage: Faster rendering as the object will be much simpler as it can
now be a single base object.

Disadvantage: You must carefully scale the gradient and apply an oposite
scaling to the individual textures.