POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Scattering media problem : Re: Scattering media problem Server Time
28 Jun 2024 21:37:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scattering media problem
From: clipka
Date: 8 Oct 2015 19:45:27
Message: <56170017$1@news.povray.org>
Am 08.10.2015 um 22:56 schrieb Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann:

> I want to model my now-defunct bathroom scales and started with the
> glass pane - when viewed edge on, it should display a dark bluish green.
> I used scattering media to achieve this (first attached image) but then
> noticed that the media color almost disappeared when viewed against a
> non-black background (second image). I tried to fix this by adding an
> interior_texture (without reflection) to the material statement, but
> then the media color was even less visible (third image).
>
> What do I wrong? Should I try absorbing media instead?

Think physics: Why does the effect you wish to model occur in nature?

You will find that it is not due to scattering, but due to absorption.

Now this would imply that you should definitely use absorbing media
instead of scattering media: While the latter does include an
absorbtion-like component (to model the effect that part of the light is
being diverted _to_ elsewhere), it also has an emission-like component
(to model the effect that light is being diverted _from_ elsewhere)
which you don't want.

That said, note that to model uniformly absorbing interior, the
fade_colour, fade_distance and fade_power keywords provide a more
efficient mechanism.