POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Moon rendering (prototype) : Re: Moon rendering (prototype) Server Time
24 Jun 2024 07:58:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moon rendering (prototype)
From: David Given
Date: 3 Oct 2015 17:53:59
Message: <56104e77@news.povray.org>
On 02/10/15 23:41, clipka wrote:
[...]
>     f_detail(x,y,z) = f_detail_(x,y,z,sqrt(x*x,y*y,z*z))
>     f_detail_(x,y,z,l) = f_noise(x/l,y/l,z/l)

Yup, that's precisely what I'm doing. I have a set of functions which
will map an (x,y,z) point onto the surface of the terrain immediately
under (or over) the point. The noise calculation is then done on that point.

> Also, my personal suggestion is to not hard-code this into your DLL, but
> rather define the detail function in POV-Ray, making use of POV-Ray's
> pigment function feature and one or more of POV-Ray's noise-based
> patterns (such as "bumps").

Unfortunately I need to calculate the terrain shape in the DLL (because
I need to know it for prop placement, which will come later). I suspect
I don't want to go anywhere near adding code to call back into Povray
from the DLL, which is a shame, as a lot of the functions are really useful.

--
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ─────
http://www.cowlark.com ─────