POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Returning user - Simple ? question : Re: Returning user - Simple ? question Server Time
27 Apr 2024 20:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Returning user - Simple ? question
From: Alain
Date: 30 Sep 2015 19:58:10
Message: <560c7712@news.povray.org>

> Hi
>
> I have not used POVray for about 10 years since i retired and it
> appears I have forgotn much that I thought I used to know.
>
> Wood turning is a main hobby and I want to use POV as a virtual
> protype.
>
> I have one question that I am finding frustrating.
>
> I have a virtual block made of several wood that I want use a sphere
> to cut a depression onto to make it into a bowl.  When I try it the
> pigment of the sphere shown on the surface hiding the laminations.  I
> am sure in the past I could get this to work.  Any advice would be
> appreciated.

My may:
Model the untextured outside of your bowl.
Use an untextured sphere to cut the depression.
Finaly, apply the texture to the whole object.

Generic sample:
difference{
  object{Bowl_Outside}// No texture here
  sphere{Depression_Center, Depression_Radius}//Also no texture here
  texture{My_Wood}
}

Alain