POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : I made a lovely picture : Re: I made a lovely picture Server Time
2 Jul 2024 21:52:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I made a lovely picture
From: Stephen
Date: 28 Sep 2015 06:56:57
Message: <56091cf9@news.povray.org>
On 9/27/2015 6:38 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 27.09.2015 um 03:33 schrieb And:
>> I know there is grammar errors, is it very terrible in your views?
>
> Let's put it this way: It's no match for the high quality of the image.
>
> Also, while I would normally have suggested how to change the text for
> the better, I've been hesitant in this case, hoping some native English
> speaker might step in. Because although I presume I have a pretty good
> general idea of what you're trying to say, the flawed grammar makes it
> too ambiguous for me to know exactly.

I don’t know. You are right about the grammar. But if it is poetry then
that opens many avenues of meaning.
I see And posted it anew and removed the ambiguity.

If instead of:
Sometimes a star falls, we hope it rises.

He had written:
Sometimes the star falls, we hope it rises.

The meaning changes. The star could be a person.

Oh! The fun of an imprecise language. :-)

> and the "falling star" is really just a
> translation error, and you're talking about our hope that sometimes a
> "shooting star" might guide us?

"Falling star" is acceptable and has the connotation of falling from
grace. If the context is there.

--

Regards
     Stephen