POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Making Your Own HDR Probe : Re: Making Your Own HDR Probe Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making Your Own HDR Probe
From: Mike Williams
Date: 31 Dec 2004 01:14:02
Message: <55p9BDAP4O1BFwzi@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Rafal 'Raf256' Maj who wrote:
>no### [at] nospamorg news:41d4829c$1@news.povray.org
>
>> Can anyone offer advice on making your own HDR probe using either
>> POV-Ray or a digital camera?  Thanks.
>>

>There was a nice tutorial while googling for HDRI, basicly the idea is to
>take a mirror ball (regular ball of reflective silver metal or somthig) -
>it will reflect 180 degrees around. Now take a photo of it. Then take photo
>of the opposit side - and this images can be combined (using proper
>software) into one full 360.
>
>Also, You must take not one pair, but severl pairs of images with different
>brightness settings - so that one image will show dark areas (while
>everythng alse would be totaly white), other will show light areas (leaving
>everything eldse almost pure-black), etc, their combined togeather create
>dymaic range image.

There's such a tutorial on the HDRShop website. HDRShop is software that
you can use to combine the photos.

http://www.ict.usc.edu/graphics/HDRShop/

Alternatively, you can create HDR probes with MegaPOV. Look at the
"hdr_environment.pov" that is included with the MegaPOV distribution.

That produces a HDR environment in a format suitable for use by MEGAPov.
Some people use the term "probe" only to refer to a HDR environment
that's arranged as an angular map. If that's what you need, then you can
use HDRShop to perform a "Panoramic Transformation".

You can't do in one step it with official POV-Ray because POV can't
output files in that format. I suppose you could output several images
with different brightness in official POV_Ray and stitch them together
with HDRShop in a manner similar to .

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure