POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Re: Imitated Bricks : Re: Imitated Bricks Server Time
26 Apr 2024 23:43:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Imitated Bricks
From: clipka
Date: 6 Sep 2015 08:32:51
Message: <55ec3273$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.09.2015 um 07:37 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 6/9/2015 2:12 AM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 09.06.2015 um 07:41 schrieb Reuben Pearse:
>>
>>> I've tried rendering them using UberPOV, but I'm getting a really
>>> "grainy"
>>> image. I'm guessing it's to do with the radiosity settings (or the
>>> subsurface settings?).
>>>
>>> Do you have the details of the final render settings you used for your
>>> image?
>>
>> No, I don't recall what settings I used; but the highest-quality
>> settings suggested in the comments (+am3 +r9 +a0.002 +ac0.99) should
>> kill the graininess in any image(*).
>>
>> (*unless it's /designed/ to be grainy, of course ;))
>>

> Is this the only way to get rid of the speckles? The render is
> unfortunately taking too long at the highest quality settings.

I presume you're talking about noise-like speckles.

Generally speaking, there is no way around those speckles except for
shooting more rays. The most simple solution to achieve this is indeed
to use "anti-aliasing" mode 3 and increase its quality settings, but
there are other places to tweak:

- If the grainy speckles appear to be related to radiosity, increasing
the radiosity "count" parameter might be a more efficient way to reduce
the speckles. Note that you can also use the radiosity importance
mechanism in this case.

- If the grainy speckles appear to be related to subsurface scattering,
increasing the subsurface sample count might be a more efficient way to
reduce the speckles.