POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Seraglio (WIP) : Re: Seraglio (WIP) Server Time
2 Jul 2024 22:57:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seraglio (WIP)
From: MichaelJF
Date: 28 Aug 2015 14:04:52
Message: <55e0a2c4$1@news.povray.org>

> using those radiosity settings, my 3.01 Ghz Phenom II X6 machine sits on its
> thumbs and shows a black window.
>
> Even when I turn off the light source fading, the focal blur and the
> anti-aliasing.  With those radiosity settings my computer just sits there.
>
> I have no idea what's going on with this scene, but even when I remove the point
> lights and replace them with emissive objects (simple spheres no ambient or
> diffuse just emission 60 and no_image) the IndoorHQ settings from rad_def.inc
> cause my scene to bog down at 0%.  It doesn't even get to the water.
>
> here is the actual water material I'm using:
>
> #declare M_Watx4 =
> material {
>      texture {
>              pigment { color rgbft <0.235, 0.318, 0.618, 1.0, 0.96> }
>              finish {
>                  diffuse 0
>                  ambient 0
> //                reflection {0.1, 0.9 fresnel on exponent 0.8}
>                  reflection { 1.0 fresnel on }
>                  conserve_energy
>                  specular albedo 1
>                  roughness 0.007
>                  }
>              normal {
>                  function {f_ridged_mf(x,y,z, 0.1, 3.0, 7.0, 0.7, 0.7, 2)} 0.3
>                  scale <1.0, 0.09375, 1.0>
> //                scale <4.68, 3.2, 4.68>/12
>                  }
>          }
>      interior {
>          ior 1.31
>          fade_distance 10
>          fade_power 1001
>          fade_color <0.235, 0.318, 0.618>
>          }
>      }
>
> my command line: +AM2 +a0.03 +H945 +W1680 +BM2 -RVP +WT6 +P serraglio.pov
>
> I get some slowdown from the floor because the tiles are all geometry (prisms),
> and I expect that effects the water some, but I don't think it explains
> everything.
>
> my lights are point lights with fade_distance 7 and fade_power 2
>
> other than that, my radiosity settings are dumbed down from the tutorial for
> conventional lighting in the docs.
>
> radiosity {
>      pretrace_start 0.04
>      pretrace_end   0.005
>      count 35
>
>      nearest_count 10
>      error_bound 0.5
>      recursion_limit 2
>
>      low_error_factor 0.1
>      gray_threshold 0.2
>      minimum_reuse 0.015
>      maximum_reuse 0.2
>      brightness 1.0
>      normal off
>
>      adc_bailout 1/256
>     }
>
> Regards,
> A.D.B.

I'm running out of ideas too. I played aroud with your settings here and
my very simple test scene but found no solution for the riddle.
Meanwhile I think that there must be an other problem and the water
material is the wrong track. But I have no idea what it could be. I
first exchanged my water material by yours given here. The computing
time decreased (!) to 6m 41s. Then I added your fade_distance and
fade_power to my dimmed light_sources: 6m 41s. But you may have another
scaling (for me 1 unit=1 meter). Then I worked through your command line
options. Your higher anti alias settings yielded 8m 21s. Adding  +bm2:
9m 58s. -rvp saved 32s. +p should not have any effect on the computation
time but indicates that you are not running the Windoze version like me.

All computations mentioned above done with this insane IndoorHQ settings.