POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Seraglio (WIP) : Re: Seraglio (WIP) Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:25:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seraglio (WIP)
From: Alain
Date: 27 Aug 2015 18:46:55
Message: <55df935f@news.povray.org>

> Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

>> Object with a high emission component in the finish.
>> Object filled with some emissive media. Need to add hollow to that object.
>>
>> Using media, you need to use some pattern to modulate the emission. Some
>> that can be usefull:
>> spherical (usualy with some turbulence)
>> bumps (normaly with uneven scalling, also with some turbulence)
>> Other patterns can be used creatively.
>>
>> The media container will normaly be fully transparent, but that's not
>> obligatory, it just need to be mostly transparent.
>>

>> Alain
>
> I have tried all of these things.  The media gives good results as long as I
> don't care if it's pure white... The problem of course is that the parts that
> affect the radiosity will be well beyond the white-point and any attempt to add
> color reduces their brightness to such a degree that they no longer have the
> desired effect.
>
> Regards,
> A.D.B.

In your media, you are not limited to the 0..1 range.
The emission value can be as high as you want or need. emission<100, 95,
40> is perfectly fine and gives an orangish tint.

Also, your density can use a colour_map with values that are also not
limited to the 0..1 range. Negative values are supported as well as
values much larger than 1.

Depending on the actual dimentions of your containing object, the needed
values will need to adjusted.

You can add some absorbing media to your flames. That media don't need
to have the same pattern as the emissive media. In fact, in most
relatively small flames, the emissive part barely absorb light at all,
and the absorbing parts are often the cooler parts that don't emit much.

A very bright emissive media can look white in it's brightest parts, but
have reflection that are definitively not white, and cause coloured
radiosity illumination.
If you use media with radiosity, you need to add "media on" in the
radiosity block if you want your media do be able to actualy illuminate
it's surrounding.

Alain