POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Computer locked up : Re: Computer locked up Server Time
7 Jun 2024 09:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computer locked up
From: clipka
Date: 16 Aug 2015 03:47:07
Message: <55d03ffb$1@news.povray.org>
Am 15.08.2015 um 19:54 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 8/15/2015 1:00 AM, clipka wrote:
>> Well, /unfortunately/ it does.
>>
>> POV-Ray is a rather special beast with regards to system performance
>> requirements. In contrast to most applications it really needs to access
>> much of its data pretty frequently, and its render tasks don't do any
>> file i/o at all, so it keeps the operating system busy juggling virtual
>> memory back and forth.
>>

>> With that in mind, I wonder whether /reducing/ the number of render
>> threads might help keep the system somewhat stable in such a situation.
>>

> I would be willing to sacrifice render speed for stability. In my case
> the parsing is what uses all the resources, and rendering only takes a
> few minutes even at 8192x8192px. As an option of course.

In that case use only one single render thread ("+wt1").

Also, if you're using radiosity, that is also something that eats up
memory that you might get away without, if you use UberPOV and its
"no_cache" radiosity option; if you use this, UberPOV will not store
/any/ radiosity-related data, which obviously increases render time but
saves a lot of memory (plus it also trades various types of artifacts
for random noise, wich can be reduced easily by simply throwing more
render time at it in "+am3" mode).