POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pilot's hat : Re: Pilot's hat Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:56:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pilot's hat
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 15 Aug 2015 18:23:19
Message: <55cfbbd7$1@news.povray.org>
On 2015-08-14 03:33 AM (-4), Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Also, stick to one kind of spline when learning, you will be able to
> generalize later, but mastery of one type (instead of a small bit of
> many types) is the path that is probably the best.

I've already had a decent grasp of Bézier splines for several years now,
but have not included them in SphereSweep because they are not supported
by the sphere_sweep primitive.  As my original rationale for writing
this module was to circumvent the flaws in the sphere_sweep primitive, I
decided to prioritize B-splines.

However, with interest in Bézier splines awakened in the past couple of
weeks, they are definitely on the table for a future version.  I already
have a sketchy idea of how to make them 1st-derivative continuous with
little pain to the user.

Natural spline and quadratic spline sphere_sweeps aren't natively
supported either, but since they /are/ supported by the experimental
spline feature, they were trivial for me to include from day one.

As the experimental spline feature already supports linear and cubic
splines, and as my brain is not as agile as it was when I was 11, I feel
no pull to try to understand these.  (Except than the linear spline is
intuitively obvious.)