POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Computer locked up : Re: Computer locked up Server Time
14 May 2024 04:24:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computer locked up
From: clipka
Date: 13 Aug 2015 06:43:53
Message: <55cc74e9@news.povray.org>
Am 13.08.2015 um 09:04 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 8/13/2015 2:22 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>> Next time, open the task manager before starting the render, to see how
>> it goes.
>
> I am using Process Hacker 2. Not sure how to monitor swap usage. I can
> only find the option to monitor physical memory, which does not take
> long to deplete.

No need to look any further - if POV-Ray has to resort to virtual
memory, rendering performance will degrade fast, to the point where it's
pointless to continue the render. Worse yet, on Windows it will drag the
entire system into a state I call "Swap Hell", where even a simple thing
like opening the task manager may take half an hour.

> Can POV-Ray monitor this type of stuff? Would be nice to have it log the
> info automatically.

The Windows version already displays its current memory usage in the
status bar; and the render statistics output includes the peak memory
usage during the render (IIRC the Unix version does that as well).