POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Computer locked up : Re: Computer locked up Server Time
14 May 2024 00:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computer locked up
From: scott
Date: 13 Aug 2015 02:42:22
Message: <55cc3c4e$1@news.povray.org>
>> My computer just locked up due to lack of memory. I got a black screen
>> and had to reboot. Is this supposed to happen? Shouldn't POVray be
>> switching over to virtual memory?
>
> The system is in charge of virtual memory. Povray is just an application
> with sometime huge need of memory.

So it should probably give an option of a maximum amount of memory to
ask the OS for? I have similar issues with simulation tools on my
windows box, but they (the apps) all give an option to limit the total
amount of RAM used. If you set it just under the amount of physical RAM
then at least you get an error before things go very screwy.

The problem is when you have a scene (or simulation in my case) where
you've done something that unexpectedly asks for a huge amount of RAM
(eg typo in a loop or something). Before you have chance to realise it,
your machine has effectively locked up.

Does anyone actualy render anything that takes more RAM than they have
physically? Wouldn't it take a lifetime to render?